Saturday, October 29, 2011

Total Bits of Randomness

The title of this post says it all...

#1.  The Magic of Felting

I love to knit and a couple of years ago I discovered "felting".  Love it!!  I made felted slippers for everyone, but the other night I found a free pattern on the internet for mittens - Felted Eskimo Mittens.  They are quick and easy to knit and took me an evening to knit a pair. 

This is how they look before they are felted...HUGE!!! 




Now, for the felted magic...






Love the pattern, love the mittens and now I'm knitting a pair for everyone I know! 

#2.  Did You Know?

You don't have to throw out the leftover wax left in the bottom of the jar candles.



I use the wax in my tea light burner and the scented wax makes the entire house smell wonderful.  Just use an old knife to dig out the wax from the bottom of the jar.



Break the wax into smaller chunks and I store in a plastic ziploc bag.




When ready to use, throw a piece into your burner and enjoy the wonderful scent.



No more wasting!

#3.  Canvas Pillows

Just a couple of pillows I made for the couch in the family room.  I love the gathered center.  Looks like ruffles without being ruffles.   



They were very easy to sew up, especially after I discovered how to ruffle/gather fabric using waxed dental floss.  Perfect gathers every time!




That's it for the randomness.  Thank you for stopping by...hope I didn't bore you too much!  Have a great weekend.

Lesa

7 comments:

  1. I love your mittens and would love to be on the receiving end for this gift.

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boring? no way, these were great!!! Love the mittens and the idea of the candle chips! Never thought of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your randomness and I especially loved the mittens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the mittens turned out! I don't knit, but maybe someday.

    Did you know that if you freeze your jar of wax for a couple of hours, the wax will loosen easier & you can break it up to get it out of the jar, then you can reuse the jar for storing odds and ends as well.

    I also adore the pillows, have not tried my hand at this style yet, but oh how sophisticated looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have that trick with the leftover wax lol. I break it up and put it in a tealight burner. Mixing Yankee Candle scents is great!

    I have passed on the Versatile Blogger Award to you as I love this site.
    Check it out at http://coachhousecraftingonabudget.blogspot.com/2011/11/ive-been-awarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I found your blog through a pin on Pinterest (how to transfer images using freezer paper - so cool!). I really like your blog and your ideas. I'll keep checking in to see what new things you come up with. :)
    Feel free to check out my blog if you'd like: http://adventuresindiy1759.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I'm your newest follower! Stumbled on you from somewhere? Not sure which rabbit hole led me to you! I'm also a knitter. Hope you'll come check me out at www.savvyshanty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete